Skip to content

The Reserve Q & A

Frequently Asked

General Assessment

Question – some of the nearby Knollwood Homeowner Associations have much smaller annual dues and fees. Why is our General Assessment $1,250, when most of the other neighborhoods are around $200?

Answer – The Reserve at Knollwood is considered a gated community. While we benefit from less traffic and a higher level of safety and security, the Reserve has the unique financial burden, as a gated community, to maintain all roads and gates. Roads must be plowed and repaired. Likewise, gates at the three entrances must be maintained.

Question – The Villa residents have lawn service and driveway snow removal. Are any of these expenses covered in the General Assessment paid by all residents?

Answer – No. In addition to paying the General Assessment, Villa residents pay additional fees to cover the additional services mentioned. The Board Treasurer tracks all disbursements, and ensures none of the General Assessment funds are used for Villa-related expenses.

Neighbor Disputes

Question – What is the best way to deal with my neighbor if we are having a dispute? I don’t want to describe the dispute so as keep my particular situation private. Should I contact a Board member?

Answer – The best way to deal with a dispute is to speak to your neighbor about your concern ideally in person or else by telephone. Try to avoid social media, texting or emails. Explain the nature of your problem and what action you would like your neighbor to take to resolve the issue. Approach the discussion in a civil matter. Do not become angry or emotional as this will likely cause your neighbor to become defensive and not hear what you are saying.

We also suggest that you read the Master Deed and Bylaws before contacting your neighbor. Some issues can be quickly resolved if the situation is addressed clearly in these documents.

If after speaking to your neighbor, you do not feel the issue has been resolved, feel free to contact one of the Board members to discuss the issue you are having. The Board’s authority in dealing with certain issues are limited, both by the referenced documents and possible local law. We will do whatever we can to help resolve the issue, but we do strongly encourage you to speak to your neighbor first.

Board of Directors

Question – What are the duties of the Board of Directors?

Answer – Please refer to Article IV Section 2 of the Bylaws. This section addresses the Powers and Duties of the Board which include, but are not limited to the following:

  • To manage and administer the affairs of and to maintain the Condominium (Reserve), all appurtenances thereto and the common elements, property and easements thereof,
  • To levy and collect assessments against and from the Owners of the Association and to use the proceeds therefrom for the purposes of the Association,
  • To contract for and employ, supervise, and to discharge, persons or business entities to assist in the management, operation, maintenance, and administration of the Condominium,
  • To make reasonable rules and regulations affecting Owners and their tenants, guests, employees and invitees concerning the use and enjoyment of the Condominium and to enforce such regulations by all legal methods, including, but not limited to, the imposition of fines and late payment charges, eviction proceedings or legal proceeding,
  • To borrow money and issue evidences of indebtedness in furtherance of any and all of the purposes of the business of the association,
  • To do anything required of or permitted to it as administrator of said Condominium by the Condominium Master Deed or By-Laws or the Michigan Condominium Act, as amended.

Question – How does one get elected to the Board?

Answer – The Board is comprised of seven Directors each of whom must be an owner in the Reserve. Anyone interested in serving on the Board, should contact a Board member. Board service is limited to 2 three-year terms. In addition to Board openings that arise at the end of a member’s term, periodic mid-term resignations also provide opportunities to serve.

Question – How are the annual or special assessments determined?

Answer – Each year the Board establishes a budget which shall include the estimated funds required to defray 1. common expenses for which the Association has responsibility for the next ensuing year, 2. the common element expenses of Villa Units and 3. a reasonable allowance for contingencies and reserves. The Board allocates and assesses such common charges against all Owners according to their respective interests on an annual basis. 

The common expenses shall consist of such amounts as the Board may deem proper for the operation and maintenance of the Condominium Project and may include, without limitation, amounts to be set aside for working capital of the Condominium, for a general operating reserve, for a reserve fund for major repairs and replacement of Common Elements and for meeting any deficit in the common expense for any prior year. 

The Villa Unit common element expenses may include, without limitation, amounts for landscaping, lawn care, snow removal, lawn maintenance, a general operating reserve, a reserve fund for major repairs and for meeting any deficit in the common expenses for any prior year. 

The Board shall advise each Owner in writing of the amount of common charges payable by him.

Question – How are owners kept apprised of how much the Board spends each year?

Answer – At the Annual Meeting (generally held in October or November) the Board provides all owners in attendance with a year-to-date income statement, a draft of the budget for the upcoming year, and other financial information.

Revenues and expenses are recorded monthly by the Treasurer. All operating expenses are budgeted and approved by the Board. Capital expenditures (i.e. paving, major landscaping, gates, etc.) are separately approved after the Board reviews at least two quotes. The Board reviews year-to-date financial results at each meeting (at least quarterly). Books and records are available for inspection by the Owners during reasonable working hours at a place to be designated by the Association.